Monday, September 04, 2006

Hooray hooray and lashings of ginger beer

Doherty spared jail as judge says: I like your song
(Filed: 04/09/2006)

The singer Pete Doherty has been spared a jail sentence for drugs offences by a judge who admitted to liking one of his songs.

Peter Doherty arrives at the court today
Peter Doherty arrives at Thames magistrates' court

District Judge Jane McIvor told the Babyshambles frontman a prison term would be "counterproductive" as he continued rehab treatment at a London clinic.

She then told Doherty, wearing a black suit and a mostly startled expression, that she was impressed with one of his new songs.

She said: "The Blinding is very good, but I'm not sure about the words."

Doherty, 27, of Haggerston, east London, pleaded guilty last month to five charges of possessing heroin, cocaine - including crack - and cannabis.

Four of the counts related to a date in April when he was arrested hours after being handed a two-year community punishment order for previous drug offences.

At Thames magistrates' court in east London today, District Judge McIvor deferred sentencing until December 4.

The judge said the fact Doherty had been caught with illegal drugs was a "deliberate flouting" of his drug treatment order.

But deciding against a custodial sentence, she said: "At this stage it would be counterproductive and simply take you away from society for a matter of weeks and would undo the hard work that a lot of professionals have put in."

She said she was impressed that Doherty had tested negative for drugs on three dates in August, adding: "That is a significant stage that I never thought you would ever reach."

Print this page as text only
Email this story
Post this story to: del.icio.us Digg Newsv

5 Comments:

Blogger Anatole David said...

Doherty is an incredibly talented singer-songwriter--with the Libertines--Mr. Barat and him made two great CD's---high quality with great songs--It's a crying shame that anyone's life would be so hampered by drugs--but a man as talented as Doherty--it's pathetic --the guy is a world class songwriter---"Time for Heroes", "Waster, "Can't Stand Me Now" and so many others are modern classics--I hope he gets back with his one time buddy Barat--but news is they are on the outs--a shame they had a chance to--with growth and maturity--be as great as Lennon and McCartney Two CD's I recommend "Up the Bracket" the Libertines first CD and their self titled second CD "The Libertines" both are excellent

September 04, 2006  
Blogger Meme said...

They are both on the new Strummer tribute single Janey Jones but it was apparently recorded speratley.There are rumours of a reconcilliation having taken place in a pub just before his last arrest.Barats new Group the dirty pretty things are good waterloo to anywhere has soe great tracks ,bang bang you're dead and deadwood are fab

September 04, 2006  
Blogger Anatole David said...

I agree meme I have the Waterloo to Anywhere --it rocks I like those two songs and "Gin & Milk", "The Enemy" and "Blood Thirsty Bastards"

Babyshambles has some decent stuff too I hope they get back together--but jesus titty fucking christ--Doherty's problems with the law and drugs are hilarious and sad--

he's become a "Waster"

September 05, 2006  
Blogger Meme said...

Noooooooooooo he's coming clean he's had three negative tests now changed his management who are keeping his "friends " away from him its only a matter of time before he and barat are back together .
Best Libs song is music when the lights go out though
I like Burma on waterloo to anwhere , it stands for be undressed ready my angel ,service men wrote it on the back of letters in the second world war.Theres a great line in there about tired wrists

September 06, 2006  
Blogger Anatole David said...

Yes "Music When the Lights Go Out" beautiful song--I liked it so much I posted it on my old blog---

September 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home